Re: [tlug] What is the Sysadmin pager these days?

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 02:46:25PM +0900, Alan Busby wrote:

> I remember that an alphanumeric pager used to be the standard tool of the
> trade as it was;
> 1. Loud as hell
> 2. Got reception everywhere
> 3. Enabled you to see exactly what the alert was when you got it.
> 4. Fairly small, so it wouldn't take up much space in your pocket
> 5. Battery life measured in weeks not hours

I think these are used nowadays:
- bigger corporations operate a NOC that give the admin a call.
  This uses in the last line the GSM network thou, pagers had
  apparently networks with even better range.
- the smaller variant is probably to get an email (i.e. from Nagios)
  to a mail account, having the mobile always online and reacting to
  the mail.

cheers,
Chris