Re: [tlug] Japan to Tax E-Content

On 15/01/2014 07:57, Nicolas Limare wrote:

> I don't understand the hate here. If you agree to pay shouhizei on
> every physical good you buy in Japan, produced locally or imported,
> why should immaterial goods not be governed by the same fiscal policy?

I don't live in Japan myself, nor have I ever set foot on Japanese soil
(it's on my to-do list!) but I can say that you must have had it
relatively easy until now if you've not paid shouhizei (which I'm
assuming equates more or less to VAT or sales tax depending on whether
you're from Europe or the US) on downloadable content. Of course, other
taxes may be higher over there than here.

Over here (UK), the sale of *ANYTHING* other than (most) food and, I
believe, clothing is subject to VAT. In France, *EVERYTHING* is subject
to VAT, even other taxes in some cases. Yep, you pay VAT on taxes on
utility bills in France.

--
Godwin Stewart -- <gstewart@example.com>