Re: [tlug] Printers for linux, was: refurbished Thinkpad X60 with Coreboot & Linux

On 28 December 2013 06:00, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Neither LasciviousOffice, OpaqueOffice, nor MonopolyOffice have the
> option of generating PCL, nor does any version of TeX AFAIK, though.

Which is why I would never buy a non-Postscript printer in the first
place. A quick Google search reveals that ImageMagick can convert
PostScript to PCL, though, so it seems there are some options out
there.

You are still right, however, in that printing should be a transparent
process to the user. I don't really know what to say. CUPS has never
failed me, neither with my sensible informed purchases nor, after an
acceptable amount of fiddling, with other people's dumb ones. Nor with
any dumpster-diving findings, for that matter, so I really don't buy
the "I-can't-afford-a-real-printer" argument. A compatible printer
isn't necessarily more expensive, you just have to learn to select a
printer for purchase by a less arbitrary method.