Re: [tlug] using eucjp on Linux

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 04:38:35PM +0900, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
> On Dec 24, 2013 3:31 PM, "Jens Oliver John" <lists@example.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 01:22:08PM +0900, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
> > >
> > > (...)
> > >
> > > $ LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucjp xterm
> > >
> > > (...)
> >
> > Which of course also requires the locale to be specified as active in
> > /etc/locale.gen (line "ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP") if he uses the GNU libc.
> >
> AFAIK, that file is only relevant at compile/install time, but not
> run-time... doing a strace should show.
> More important is `locale -a` IMHO.
>
> Kalin.

Well yes, when installing libc it determines which locales are built, and with
the EUC-JP locale disabled on my system, when invoking xterm with forced EUC-JP locale,
it refuses to start complaining about the missing locale. IMO locale -a just shows
which locales are active (=built currently) and available to programs. If the
desired locale would not be in the list (ruled out according to the rest of the
messages by now), it would have been necessary to un-comment the line in
locale.gen and run locale-gen, which builds all locales for the system according
to the settings in /etc/locale.gen.

Regards,
Jens.