[tlug] using eucjp on Linux

Christian Horn writes:

 > Running these commands in a terminal "xterm -en eucjp".

As I understand it, this should run luit for you, so

 > 	[chris@hive ~]$ LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucjp luit

is not necessary.

 > 	[chris@hive ~]$ cat test_eucjp
 > 	F|K\8l

That's the 7-bit equivalent of EUC-JP "日本語".  Something's stripping
the high bits, but I don't know why.  xterm has an option to do that,
but it's false by default.  AFAIK {Alt|Meta}SendsEscape should only
affect input.

 > 	[chris@hive ~]$ date
 > 	2013G/ 127n 23F| 7nMKF| 22:21:45 CET

Looks like more of the same.

 > 	[chris@hive ~]$ cat test_utf8
 > 	f%f,h*

And this is more of the same, with control characters being removed
from the stream entirely.  It's probably your stty settings.

Try "stty raw", then "cat test_eucjp".