Re: [tlug] OT: Buffalo AirStation config

nigel barker writes:

 > My advice is to start shouting earlier in the evening.

That's what my wife does.  All it succeeds in doing is hurting *my*
ears.  As far as I can tell, the contract is "Mom can yell until
11:23, then maybe I'll start moving to do what she wants."  The
earlier she starts, the more my ears hurt.

A little bit of skinship (aka "Vulcan nerve pinch") is a lot more
effective.  Make it clear that you are going to interfere with what
they're doing, maybe even cost them life points or whatever, and never
give them the satisfaction of making you mad.  For daughters (mine,
anyway) just the presence of Dad within a meter is enough to put her
off her game by now.  Bu-wha-ha-ha-ha!

The other thing I've learned is that a lot of her net usage is
actually research.  She's been in a dance club since junior high, so
when she's listening to music or watching videos it may be related to
their next performance.  Maybe it's just me (an open source hacker and
professional researcher), but I get the feeling that making an effort
to give her credit for being "on task" (even if it's not directly
related to her "job" of graduating from high school and preparing for
entrance exams and college) makes efforts to decrease mind-killing
activity (ameba, for her) more effective.