Re: [tlug] Making an Android device bilingual

On 12/14/2013 08:13 PM, Dave Evans wrote:
You can side-load a compatible keyboard if you want. I did that, and am able to write in Japanese just fine on my English Kindle Fire (8.9" from last year.)

Imagine for a minute that you're sending this to a person who last used the term "side-load" in a computing environment to describe a type of 80-column punch card reader that he used in his daily work to copy his COBOL programs on to paper punch tape or 2" magnetic tape (this was before we got "modern" screw-on demountable 380Mb hard drives in the ultra-compact 30" size). The term calls up visions of mechanically attaching or inserting something into something else, producing an audible, satisfying "click" sound.

Are there some instructions around that someone as inept as me could use to try this procedure? And, is jailbreaking required?

After jailbreaking it you can put even more keyboards on it, but if you use the Amazon ecosystem it probably is better not to jailbreak.

I only need to bounce between two -- within the same message, sometimes, so I'd like to use a combination keystroke command to switch between languages, as I do with iBus. Well, I also like Avast! but BitDefender (which Amazon allows) seems to be working okay.

Dave E. Disclaimer: I might be employed at a large river-themed ecommerce company, but not in any capacity related to Kindle stuff.

Wow. I've never met anyone from the Rio Grande Tex-Mex Food site, before. I need more Carrol Shelby's Chili Mix. Do y'all deliver overseas?

--
CL