Re: [tlug] Problems with au ADSL/network setup

Stefan A. writes:

 > So I finally had time to go over and see my friend last week to take
 > another shot at fixing his modem + router problems and, well, this is
 > somewhat embarrassing ...

"Let it be a lesson ..."  But seriously, that kind of thing happens.
The only way you can learn about them most of the time is if they
happen to you.  You won, this time ... be happy!

My favorite story is from my sister, who is a system analyst.  She got
a panic call from a guy who everybody detests who was "on deadline"
which he thought justified pulling her (rather than the appropriate
tech) away from her work (which of course had its own deadline).  So
she got there, immediately diagnosed the problem as being outside of
her job description and had him send the PC to tech support.  As
expected, he called tech support and let them do the heavy lugging,
which meant the he didn't notice it was impossible to unplug the power
because he'd kicked the power cable out of the wall....

It's a measure of how much he was detested that the hardware guyz
lugged the PC all the way down to the shop where they plugged it in,
tested, brought it back and tested in in situ.  The guy was almost in
tears over his deadline.  "That ain't working, that's the way to do
it, you play your guitar on the M T V"

All's well that ends well!