Re: [tlug] Japanese Input: Making It Work

On 12/06/2013 08:08 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
CL writes:

  > made all of my Do Not Track and privacy Add-Ons work properly and made
  > me less of a joke to the websites I need to use for business.

By that you mean "compatible with non-standard and broken HTML
produced by Word and Japanese consultants"?
Nossir. I meant "Compatible with and acceptable to the access frontends of high-security sites produced by the same people that made the Obamacare website the success it is; and their Japanese counterparts at Kantei. And, all of the consultants who work so well together to produce such uniform, compatible code."

Often it's possible to get all features by installing from source
.debs -- the configure process will correct for kernel and library
issues.  It's been a long time since I've done that though.  I do
remember it often required fiddling with the Debian patches, which is
probably more trouble than it's worth.  Just FYI.
Installing from the .debs produced a regular, repeatable error caused by the inability to download and install the required version of cupsys that installing from the tarball fixed. HPLIP is actually one of the best programmed and best documented packages in all of Linuxdom. And their support is excellent. I filed a request for assistance with this issue and they acknowledged that they were aware of the problem and had formulated some workarounds. I'm going to be one of their crash test dummies just as soon as I mirror this installation to another HDD so I have one disposable version.

--
CL