Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 01:32:50PM +0900, CL wrote:

> Yesterday, I upgraded Xubuntu on my torrenting machine from 13.04 to 13.10.
>

> - The bad news is iBus ... it installed English, eliminated Anthy, and
> changed the input switching selection from my choice to "Super + space,"
> just as it had done in Kubuntu running on my work desktop.

I'm not sure that this particular choice is an Ubuntu one.  I believe
Fedora is doing the same thing, so it's quite possibly an ibus choice.
It's easy enough to change back when running ibus-setup.
> But, it leads me to conclude that the problem with iBus is Ubuntu.

It may be the newer version's choice, which may be why you're not having
the issue with Debian. Not at all thoroughly tested by me though

> the government servers I work with and don't want to go away quietly
> when uninstalled, so I am still in the market for something that causes
> fewer problems.

It seems that almost every one will have their own set of problems.  For
example, Fedora will often be full of solutions in search of problems that
get in my way, which CentOS 6.x hasn't yet used, but CentOS will be too old
for something else that I need.  (For example, later versions of
google-chrome won't work on CentOS without effort, the Android phone mtpfs
works more or less out of the box with newer distros, but on CentOS can be
hit and miss, and so on.

Arch can sometimes be useful in cases like this, as it usually makes fewer
changes to upstream, but I haven't used it with iBus (hrrm, I'm surprised
Apple hasn't sued them, for the iSomething name) in awhile.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6