Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

On 08/24/2013 04:10 PM, Lyle H Saxon wrote:
Here we go again...  I'm helping a friend set up his computer, and
after installing Kubuntu 12.04 LTS first as an English language
install, and then changing that to Japanese (menus etc. are now in
Japanese), I'm not having any luck getting Japanese input working.
Not being able to find the other end of the string any more, I just went to the front end and answered. One additional data point:

Yesterday, I upgraded Xubuntu on my torrenting machine from 13.04 to 13.10.

- The good news is that suddenly all of the 12+Tb of internal and external disks get recognized immediately with no antler dancing from the mobo and CPU. Performance is quite snappy compared to the up-to-five minute waits I was experiencing between disk changes in earlier versions. File transfer times between disks can now be measured with a stopwatch instead of a calendar. Simply amazing.

- The bad news is iBus ... it installed English, eliminated Anthy, and changed the input switching selection from my choice to "Super + space," just as it had done in Kubuntu running on my work desktop. When I went in to change the preferences back I found that, once again, the ability to change is marked "Disabled" and grayed out. I can switch manually at the Panel icon, though. Since I need Japanese input on this machine for about an hour every two months I am not going to sweat this one.

But, it leads me to conclude that the problem with iBus is Ubuntu.

I am currently testing Debian 7 + LXDE on my work PC and am not having this issue, or many others, for that matter. Debian 7 + KDE was sexier but had some basic problems ... like Skype shutting itself off every time I answered a call and earlier versions of some programs not wanting to upgrade themselves ... LibreOffice 3 being the poster child for that problem. Iceweasel and Icedove continue to get no respect from some of the government servers I work with and don't want to go away quietly when uninstalled, so I am still in the market for something that causes fewer problems.

--
CL