Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 13.10 clock problems (was: Ibus and Ubuntu based)

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
Benjamin Tayehanpour writes:

 > Gah. Is there a file-system equivalent of the OSI model?

The POSIX standard itself, I guess.

I am not sure. Posix is about interfaces (API, commands...), not about underlying implementation.
A file system could have different layout, and expose a POSIX api, which would show standardized information.

There is no such "Posix file system". And there is no "inode" concept in Posix, an inode being part of implementation (generally *ix). Posix wants a file system to have a minimal set of information (generally inspired from the Unix world, therefore from a usual inode structure). It does not mean an inode must exist.

For instance, NTFS does not have "real" inodes (MFT is similar to inode in terms of role, but is not).

But this is just a vocabulary issue: If we agree on "inode" being a place where file information (metadata) is stored, this would be OK.

Bruno.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.