Re: [tlug] New notebook & distro

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM, Benjamin Tayehanpour
<benjamin@example.com> wrote:
> Well, since the quoted situation mentioned Windows 7, I assumed that
> the computer was Windows 7 certified. Since the Windows 8
> certification will probably take over in the future, or may already
> have done so, it is reasonable to assume that it will not be a problem
> for new computers purchased in the present or near future. It will, of
> course, still be a problem for Windows 7 certified computers, but they
> are a dying breed.

So the secure boot issue is for Windows 7 only and has been abandoned
with Windows 8?  I had thought the issue *began* with Windows 7 and
was *continuing* with Windows 8.  The users I've been speaking with
that got stuck with W8 are extremely unhappy with it and I know a few
people who went out of their way to get W7 (within the past few
months) as they were avoiding W8 like the Bubonic Plague....  "Dying
breed"?  We're talking about machines here, right?  They're not alive,
never were alive, and they were not bred like horses.  I still say
your use of the term "nowadays" was inappropriate.  But never mind,
most people don't give a d**n about the actual meaning of words any
more, so it doesn't matter.  That said, I suppose the old term of
avoiding something "like the plague" doesn't make much sense either.
Whatever!

Lyle