Re: [tlug] Fwd: SYMPOSIUM> Humanities Studies in the Digital Age and the Role of Buddhist Studies, UTokyo 11/16-17

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 9:46 PM, Charles Muller
<acmuller@example.com> wrote:
> On 2013-11-11 20:01, Simon Cozens wrote:
>
>> As others have posted: really interesting, wish I could be there.
>>
>> You *will*, of course, be publishing the papers on the net afterwards, won't you?
>>
>> (Oh wait, academia in Japan.)

Hmmmm...I hate to ruin a "that's academia in Japan" party, but I think
that's how things are in many places...  It's not "academia in Japan"
but "academia"...

> Nonetheless, we have had a fair number of requests like yours, so we
> have decided that we should at least videotape it and make that
> available on our server afterwards (now this has become my job, in fact!).

The rules of each research field can vary greatly.  But, I just went
to one conference which sounds similar to this one...that is, a small
one without months or more of planning.  Some conferences can take up
to a year?  Anyway, I think presenters were encouraged to present
"new" work to keep the conference interesting.  On literally every
wall, there was a paper that said "No photos!".  Guess what happened
whenever an interesting slide came up?  *yup*  Too bad the organisers
didn't stop the number of people taking photos.

I've heard of stories of reviewers rejecting a paper during peer
review and then re-developing the idea as their own.  Or labs with an
army of students who can do an idea seen at a conference done by a
lone student.

Surely tax payer-funded research should be open to all, but there's
also a dark side that's often ignored...  :-(

Ray