Re: [tlug] New notebook & distro

Hi Darren,

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
> I remember a year ago there was lots of talk that new notebooks with new
> bios and windows installed would not allow installing linux. Did that
> turn out to be a non-issue. Can I buy any old (er, new) HP or Dell
> notebook, repartition disks and install linux distro of my choice on it
> with no real pain? Or do I have to shop carefully? Windows pre-installed

I don't recall that discussion...  I have a Dell laptop from 2 years
ago and it is dual booting fine.

I did have a problem recently with an HP desktop where I gave up and
just wiped the Windows part.  The problem I had is with those new
rescue partitions.  I think with some patience, I could have got
around it, but I really didn't have the time to fix it.

With the Dell laptop, I don't think I have a rescue partition; I think
I got rescue CDs.  That is the only problem that I can think of.
Maybe if you're a partition whiz, then you can overcome the problem...
 I'm definitely not.

Ray