Re: [tlug] All Your Base (2013 Edition)

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
> The Russian government provides proof that your China-made home
> appliances, modems, and other devices may be hacking your computer and
> phoning home:
>
> http://thehackernews.com/2013/11/russia-finds-spying-microchips-planted_1.html

Yeah I saw this story on the Russian sites, but it has too low
credibility as of now - too little details.

> I'd be interested in hearing whether there is a prevent option that will
> let anyone buy anything they want and not have to seriously worry about
> stuff like this.

If you seriously worry "about stuff like this" (instead of who is
abusing your phone/tablet/PC which is a lot easier), get yourself a
spectrum analyzer.
A "cheap" one like Wi-Spy will probably be enough.
Alternatively use software (but it will miss proprietary protocols,
but for a Wi-Fi iron that is using Wi-Fi AP that is not needed).

(<PR>I used to work for a company that charged good money to "make a
sweep" looking for wireless camera/mics in offices and houses</PR>)

And finally read
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/10/meet-badbios-the-mysterious-mac-and-pc-malware-that-jumps-airgaps/
and go to sleep for a good night sleep :-)

Kalin.