Re: [tlug] Config updates [was: Ubuntu 13.10 clock problems (was: ...)]

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Raymond Wan writes:
>
>  > I've been on Debian and Ubuntu for many years and I don't think I have
>  > *ever* seen it before *during* upgrades.  Perhaps I've missed it all
>  > this time??
>
> Ah, maybe in Debian you're using a GUI tool?  Or raw dpkg/dselect?  I
> use aptitude, and what happens when a config file is detected as
> user-changed (or maybe always?) is that shows you a diff in a pager,

Hmmmm, it has been a long time since I used Debian.  I guess back
then, I may have been using apt-get or maybe even dselect.  I'm not
too sure if I was using aptitude back then.

Now, on Ubuntu, I am using aptitude.  But configuration file merges
happens fairly infrequently for security fixes.  I guess it will
happen more often when we upgrade a distribution (i.e., from Ubuntu
13.04 to 13.10).  Alas, I did 3 of my upgrades via the GUI...  :-)
For the fourth, I did it on the command-line; can really remember if
it was through aptitude.  As that isn't a dual boot system, I guess I
am not too worried about it.

Perhaps that is it...  I don't know about Chuck, but I was using
Ubuntu's Software Updater.  Maybe it assumes different things and
passes these assumptions to aptitude for the upgrade??

>  > According to this bug report from 2010, it seems a more friendly
>  > upgrade has been suggested but not yet done:
>  >
>  > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/689069
>
> Urg.  That's worse than I had imagined.  I don't think I'll be
> installing Ubuntu by choice any time soon.

Well, it does its job most of the time for me, at least.  Once I
forced myself to accept Unity, I managed to spend more time with work
and less time with configuring it.  Indeed, it is becoming more and
more like Windows...  I will leave Ubuntu if it becomes even more like
Windows, though (i.e., if they choose to remove the command line!).

Ray