Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 13.10 clock problems (was: Ibus and Ubuntu based)

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 6:30 AM, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull
<stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Raymond Wan writes:
>
>  > Hmmmm...I don't remember very well, but I don't think there was a
>  > "merge configs" option during the upgrade.
>
> You mean there never is one, or you didn't see one for that particular
> file?  If "never", that's a HUGE regression from Debian.

I've been on Debian and Ubuntu for many years and I don't think I have
*ever* seen it before *during* upgrades.  Perhaps I've missed it all
this time??

If this can help, I just upgraded to 13.10, and I was signalled all discrepancies
in files (ie: files that I changed myself), with many options, such as difference,
shell, etc... then choose one or the other.

What I dread the most about Debian/Ubuntu upgrades [NB:  As far as I
can remember...which is not too far anymore :-( ] is when it asks you
about updating a configuration file that you only vaguely remember,
and all of the options given are equally bad...

>  > Or, maybe because one file has "UTC=yes" and the other has
>  > "UTC=no", it is unable to decide which should be applied.
> Debian has some scheme for determining whether and where a config file
> was changed by the user.  If it was, it offers a 3-way merge (a la
> merge(1)).  I really think that's the way it ought to be....

This is hard to believe. If someone having also a dual-boot Windows plans
to upgrade (supposing UTC=no) it would be nice to check this particular point.

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.