Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 13.10 clock problems

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Benjamin Tayehanpour <benjamin@example.com> wrote:
On 30 October 2013 06:18, Bruno Raoult <braoult@example.com> wrote:
> In both case, your choice is easy:
> - Switching Linux to localtime is one line in a file.
> - Switching Windows to UTC is one line in registry.

If it's all the same to someone, and just want some reason to tip one
way or another, I'd go with modifying Windows. UTC actually makes
sense to store in a sufficiently complex system's hardware clock;
local datetime doesn't.

As I live in France, where there is DST change, localtime is absolutely a no-go. Too many
question marks when a system boots, the first one being a question the system cannot
answer easily: In which state the hardware clock is? Does it reflect current localtime?
And this question cannot be answered before having access to a time server. The rtc is
therefore totally useless, as we cannot trust it.

Surely off-topic, but I guess even Windows cannot handle dst correctly for the same reason.
I was thinking about a dual-boot machine: During the boot, a machine has no way to know
in which state the hardware clock is. I say dual-boot, because there could be ugly hacks on
a single system machine (like writing something in registry when the change is applied).
I suppose this is the way they do.

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.