Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 13.10 clock problems (was: Ibus and Ubuntu based)

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
> In every case, after upgrading from 13.04 to 13.10, a clock discrepancy
> problem has arisen between the two OS's:[1] Each time after I run
> Kubuntu, when I start Windows, the clock is set to 9 hours
> earlier--apparently UTC, even though the time indicator says it's Tokyo
> time, and so I have to reset it manually.

I would doublecheck /etc/default/rcS.  That usually sets the clock to UTC
by default.  If that's the case, that might be the issue.

I think internal (hardware)  clock should always be UTC, and the system (and user) environment
should make the conversion. Just an example: I just come back from Japan, and
while over there I did connect to my home computer. As TZ was correctly set, I
had a correct time while abroad, and internal clock setting did not change (and therefore,
log files and other things were always coherent).
Another reason is that everything in the world is UTC based: GPS time information, NTP servers,
etc... Messing up with local time at hardware internal time could really be messy.

However, I don't know how Windows manages UTC hardware time. But it should work, as we
had in my former office dual boot systems, and internal clock (that you can check in
BIOS) was UTC. Probably some magic key in the registry.

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.