Re: [tlug] Ibus and Ubuntu based

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 11:03:41PM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:

> Have people on this list installed a fresh 13.10 Ubuntu or variant, and
> found that ibus works as well as it has in the past?  I just tried on
> Lubuntu 13.10 64 bit to find that it has become pretty useless.

Ok, to answer my own question, just tried with standard Ubuntu 13.10, and
after installing ibus-mozc and Japanese support, it worked as it should,
though it did require a reboot.  As Linux seems to be more Windows/OSX like
to me with each iteration, that makes sense.

> Several stupid, in my less than humble opinion, design changes--changing
> the ctl+space, that has been in use since kinput2-canna days for
> super+space, which breaks with various desktops--for example, in dwm, it's
> hardcoded in dwm's config.h to change layouts.  This one is easily changed
> during ibus-setup.

> Then, one one clicks to add languages, non-Latin character languages, at
> leats in Ubuntu variants, don't even show.  One has to first click show all
> languages, which closes the dialog box, then click the whole add language
> thing again.

Those two minor aggravations are still there.  So, it seems as if Lubuntu
and, from Lyle's experience, Kubuntu, have issues.  I might try XUbuntu
tomorrow out of curiosity.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6