Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Nigel Barker <tech@example.com> wrote:
> On 8 October 2013 16:57, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:
>> Lyle here - new to Debian.  Any general advice about it?  Is Iceweasel
>> an acceptable browser, or would you recommend using something else,
>
> Welcome!
> Iceweasel is fine. I also use chromium.

Thanks!  Yeah - that's the other browser I'm interested in using actually.

>> 2) There was an error message when I booted up the machine after the
>> installation saying that "Gnome-3 failed to load", but I have a GUI
>> desktop, so I'm not sure what that means exactly.  Actually, I'd
>
> You are in gnome shell (is it called? anyway the fallback mode)
> because your graphics card couldn't handle 3d or something like that..

On the second boot, there was no error message, so I guess it's set on
an lower spec mode.  Fine with me!  Most new UI's seem to be really
bad...

>> prefer KDE, but I'm trying not to be very nit-picky on this machine.
>> If it works, I'll try to live with whatever GUI it has.
>
> You can install KDE, however if your machine is old, try LXDE. I use
> it on all my machines because people always give me computers so I
> never have new hardware. .....

Sounds familiar!

> You have a choice of KDE, LXDE or XFCE from
> the "advanced" menu of the install. But anyway, just add them to gnome
> if you have disk space. I'm also playing with e17 on one of my
> laptops.

For now I'll probably just try using what I guess is an older version
of Gnome, and experiment with other things later.

>> 3) I installed it in English and will want to get Japanese working on
>
> aptitude install ibus-anthy and all dependencies, then configure from
> the menu. You may also need ttf-vlgothic.

Sounds like a plan.  Thanks!

>> Any advice about good on-line resources, etc. for Debian appreciated.
>
> Debian wiki is very good. Linuxquestions of course. Debian forums not
> that good, but sometimes OK. Here of course.

Thanks for the info!

Lyle