Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 12:31 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley
<daniel.ramaley@example.com> wrote:
> On 2013-10-08 at 00:57:13 Lyle H Saxon wrote:
>> Is Iceweasel an acceptable browser
>
> That's what i use on Debian. You can also install Google Chrome, Opera,
> etc... basically whatever browser you want. Despite not being a KDE
> user, i even use Konqueror sometimes if i just want to test a page
> (Konqueror loads really fast). I suppose you could even install IE with
> a bit of work.

I might want to use Chrome, but certainly not IE [shudder!].

>> 1) The installation took a Really Long Time.
>
> Did you do a network install? And if so, do you have a fast internet
> connection and did you choose a relatively local mirror?

I started with a 400MB (or so) CD and the picked a mirror somewhere
(I've forgotten where I decided on - I didn't see anything very
close).  There didn't appear to be any mirrors in Japan at all, or if
there were, I didn't see them.  Slow stretches when downloading
appeared to be slow on the other end, not this end.

>> Any advice about good on-line resources, etc. for Debian appreciated.
>
> I actually have good luck with the Ubuntu and Gentoo forums. My Google
> searches often end up finding things in one of those 2 places, and
> usually the info applies just fine to Debian. Debian has its own forums
> and wiki, but they are (in my limited experience) less useful.

That's a useful thing to read!  I had imagined I would end up
referencing Debian forums pretty exclusively....

Thanks for the feedback!

Lyle