Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?

On 8 October 2013 16:57, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:
> Lyle here - new to Debian.  Any general advice about it?  Is Iceweasel
> an acceptable browser, or would you recommend using something else,

Welcome!
Iceweasel is fine. I also use chromium.

>1) The installation took a Really Long Time.  Not sure why that is,
Net install?

> 2) There was an error message when I booted up the machine after the
> installation saying that "Gnome-3 failed to load", but I have a GUI
> desktop, so I'm not sure what that means exactly.  Actually, I'd

You are in gnome shell (is it called? anyway the fallback mode)
because your graphics card couldn't handle 3d or something like that..

> prefer KDE, but I'm trying not to be very nit-picky on this machine.
> If it works, I'll try to live with whatever GUI it has.

You can install KDE, however if your machine is old, try LXDE. I use
it on all my machines because people always give me computers so I
never have new hardware. You have a choice of KDE, LXDE or XFCE from
the "advanced" menu of the install. But anyway, just add them to gnome
if you have disk space. I'm also playing with e17 on one of my
laptops.

> 3) I installed it in English and will want to get Japanese working on

aptitude install ibus-anthy and all dependencies, then configure from
the menu. You may also need ttf-vlgothic.

> Any advice about good on-line resources, etc. for Debian appreciated.

Debian wiki is very good. Linuxquestions of course. Debian forums not
that good, but sometimes OK. Here of course.

cheers
nigel