Re: [tlug] To Set This World On FIRE...

Hi Edward,

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Edward Middleton
<edward.middleton@example.com> wrote:
> not like data collection is a neutral act.  Anything that could be used
> by the government to protect us could be even more effectively used by
> someone with criminal intents.  Generously speaking, for the government
> maybe one in a thousand records hold value, for a criminal possible all.

That is true.  Perhaps they are using the argument that collecting
data is "on" by default.  Much like a plain installation of Apache
which creates the access and error logs already.  Arguably, maybe it
should be "off" by default, instead?

I think I heard that the Large Hadron Collider generates so much data
in real time, it can't even store all of it.  It needs to filter 99%
of it in real-time.  I presume any tool that a government is using to
collect data has to do the same.  Surely, no government has enough
hard disks to store that much data.  Maybe that will make the average
person (i.e., people who don't know much about IT), sleep better at
night?  If how that filter operates is released publicly, then the
system becomes useless...

Ray