Re: [tlug] [OT] Japan SIM card for foreign phone

On 09/19/2013 01:39 AM, Bruno Raoult wrote:
Hi,

In 2008-2009, there was a discussion here about the possibility to get a
SIM card for a foreign phone. It seemed difficult/impossible. Did the
things change? This will not be a short-term stay, and I will have an
address.

There was a discussion about this recently, check the archives. Basically, if you have an unlocked phone you can use any SIM.
The big carriers don't usually offers SIMs only, but MVNOs do.
There are a few nowadays, bmobile is probably the best
(uses the Docomo network):

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/

Also see Japan Mobile Tech, has lots of info about the subject:

http://www.japanmobiletech.com/

PS. I really don't understand the rationale on these limitations, as I
believe mobile operators don't make much money on hardware (I mean compared
to subscriptions). They even loose money.

But of course they do :) On a 2 year contract they can make up
for any subsidized hardware. But you if cancel and get a contract
from a competitor, they do lose, hence the whole locking BS.

Cf, DCM, the biggest proponent of unlocking is now refusing to
unlock the new iPhone....