Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

Lyle H Saxon writes:
 > On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
 > > This is Kubuntu 12.04, LTS standard desktop, correct?
 >
 > Yes, although in contrast to the one I finally got going (which was
 > Kubuntu 12.04.2 LTS, installed in Japanese), this one began life as
 > Kubuntu 12.04.0 LTS as an English install some time ago.  It seems as
 > though the problem now it how to get it switched over, since IBus is
 > running..?

Actually, I would say the problem is to get *you* switched over to a
different distro.

The fact is that Kubuntu 12.04 LTS is broken (Scott's post on his
experience with Kubuntu install convinced me of that).  Scott, who is
willing to dig into the ancient hair of XMODIFIERS ("Sadako 3D,"
anyone?) still didn't manage to get ibus to run at boot.[1]  That's
just plain *wrong*.

Now, you could continue, but that's going to require that you actually
make changes to config files and your process environments by hand.
You've shown no inclination to do that though.  And that's probably
the right thing, because any such changes you make may fail to be
respected by the next upgrade, and worse may conflict with it.  Nor
does fixing this give you any guarantee that the incompetents who
produced this installer didn't boof the pooch in other ways.  So at
this point you're just going around in circles: this maze has no exit.

You have three plausible upgrade paths.  One is to use the LTS of a
different flavor of *buntu, a second is to revert to the previous LTS
of Kubuntu (assuming it worked, but maybe not -- ISTR a similar
oo-sawagi about that one), and the third is to try the current release
of Kubuntu.

Footnotes:
[1]  No disrespect to Scott; he didn't try all that hard.  He
shouldn't have to.  And *you* shouldn't have to.