Re: [tlug] NAS RAID advice

Supports SSH out of box.. but actually you don't need it, it's that awesome

Andrew

On Aug 31, 2013 6:55 PM, "Andrew M" <gababagonist@example.com> wrote:

In the name of sweet Jesus, please consider getting a Synology NAS. I currently have the Synology DS213.

http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS213&lang=enu

It is amazing. Its got an interface for interaction that is unparalleled. Its dead simple to set up NFS, SMB, automatic backups, rsync target, web server, ftp server... you name it. You can raid1 it... although synology's implementation is called SHR and is probably superior as it doesn't sync the empty space.

I have mine acting as a photo backup / important doc backup target with SMB, it completely backs up to a connected USB drive every Monday and amazon glacier for long term storage every Wednesday.

Trust me on this. I've never been more satisfied than I am with this NAS. Let me know if you have questions.

Andrew

On Aug 26, 2013 7:41 PM, "Bruno Raoult" <braoult@example.com> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Nikolay Elenkov <nick@example.com> wrote:
> 2013年 8月 26日(月)5:11 pm に Stephen J. Turnbull さんは書きました:
>> Raymond Wan writes:
>>
>>  > This is embarrassing, but so far, I haven't connected the Buffalo to
>>  > my Linux system; it's connected to a Windows system...

To come back to the Buffalo option, I got a 1TB one a few years ago.
I was able to  "hack" it to get a ssh access (useful for backups).
In fact, this is a kernel replacement.

Please have a look on:
    http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Main_Page

Maybe the new hardware are supported?
About my machine itself, it is *slow* (at least in my raid-5
configuration). But having
the ability to get ssh access gives some fun.

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.