Re: [tlug] Python 2 versus Python 3

On 08/28/2013 06:38 PM, jep200404@example.com wrote:
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 09:42:15 +0900, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:

Aside: why is Ubuntu close to latest release on most things, but way
behind on Python (2.7x from 11.04 to snapshot, yet latest is 3.3.2
apparently; centos is still on 2.6)?
...ah, answered my own question: 3.x is not backwards compatible [1].
But 3.0 was released in Dec, 2008... Wow, they must really have changed
things to have the distros still refusing to stock it after 5 years!
You can however install and run python 3.3 from synaptic and at least some of the libraries in Ubuntu 13.04. And python2.7 runs fine in parallel to python3.3.

If you're using utf-8, python 3 is so much better than python 2 that that feature alone is enough to justify porting to 3.3.

Speaking of libs though -- tkinter with python3 crashes with the version of ibus on my machine but pyqt seems to work ok, and it's a big enough problem I'm moving away from tkinter.

Steve S.