Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
> Did you add Japanese language support?  I haven't used Kubuntu, but in
> Ubuntu, seems to me that I had to go to the menus, find languages, and
> specifically add Japanese support.  After that, I ran ibus-setup and was
> then able to add Japanese.   (By typing ibus-setup in a terminal).

1) Went back to zero (or bare metal as my old desk neighbor at BigCorp
used to call it) and installed Kubuntu 12.04.2 LTS as a Japanese
language install (which had to be installed onto a DVD disk as it's
gone just over 700MB).

2) On first reboot, got caught up with most recent updates.

3) Rebooted, and (naturally) no Japanese input.

4) Through System Settings set preferred language to Japanese.

5) Installed Firefox, then Anthy, then ibus (why aren't Anthy and ibus
automatically part of a Japanese language installation?)

6) Rebooted, and... no Japanese input.

7) Tried running iBus (which just hangs and dies if attempting to open
it via the menu, but comes up via ibus-setup in a terminal.  However,
under "Input Method", there's nothing there.

8) Now I'll try looking over all the comments again and see if I can
figure out how to get it working.

[Comment: Is there some good *reason* that Japanese input can't/won't
work after doing a Japanese language installation?]

Lyle