Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

On 08/26/2013 10:58 PM, Lyle H Saxon wrote:
... I may have messed something up while trying different things, so the best route may be
to start over - still, before I do that, I'll spend at least a little
time trying to get the current installation going.
For what it's worth, my normal install process is
1) install from a live disk -- I just used one out of a Linux magazine for Mint15 and Mint14
2) sudo apt-get install synaptic
3) get the Japanese IME working
4) sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Sometimes there is some fiddleing with the IME to find everything and sometimes after I've done everything I think is necessary and it still doesn't work, I need to reboot. Since the IME has been using Ibus the place where anthy is picked seems to change but you do need to have that.

Perhaps I've just been lucky but that usually is all it takes. Then a reboot and start putting in the stuff I always want -- rythmbox, gimp, inkscape, audacity, various compilers/intrepreters/libs. If I know the package I use apt-get and if not synaptic for install. Lately I've also been downloading the raw firefox and geting rid of ubuntu/mint customizations.

It sounds like that menu setting selection in the previous email might solve your menu problem and maybe you just need to select the japanese input method from ibus preferences.

Good luck.

Steve S