Re: [tlug] Accessing JB's WWWJDIC Off-Line

On 27 August 2013 14:17, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 6:22 AM, Benjamin Tayehanpour
> <benjamin@example.com> wrote:
>> On 25 August 2013 20:24, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:
>>> Sure - and as an encyclopedia, I love it, but not as a dictionary!
>>
>> That might be due to its not being one. Wiktionary is a common counterpart.
>
> One more comment.  Yes, it's not a dictionary, but some neanderthals
> use it like one sometimes!

Speaking as a lexicographer, I view the Japanese Wikipedia as a very useful
source for the initial stages of developing a dictionary entry for hitherto
unrecorded terms. Sometimes the articles can be a bit quirky and off-target,
and the XXXXとは.... explanations certainly need checking elsewhere, but
they are correct and relevant most of the time. They are often more lucid
than the explanations found in places like 広辞苑 and 大辞林.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University