Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 4:21 AM, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 03:49:13AM +0900, Lyle H Saxon wrote:
>> Shy on time today...  running ibus-setup brings up a box, but
>> "Japanese" setting is grayed out.
>
> In that case, I'm almost certain that you should look for something like
> system preferences, languages, and add Japanese support.

I should have installed it in Japanese in the first place (and I might
start from zero again that way), but I was able to set system
preferences to Japanese, which gave me all Japanese menus, etc., but
not the ability to input Japanese text.

I sure miss the way it was in Suse before.  You just added Japanese as
a second language, and then it worked - with English menus.  I've
never gotten Japanese input to work with Ubuntu/Kubuntu when starting
from an English language install, and even when installing in
Japanese, it doesn't work until some hoops are jumped through.

In any case, I'll get back to hoop-jumping later in the week!  Thanks
for the feedback!

Lyle