Re: [tlug] Accessing JB's WWWJDIC Off-Line

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 5:19 PM, Jim Breen <jimbreen@example.com> wrote:
> It's not open source, is totally runs-inside-Apache oriented, and is a beast
> to install. I don't attempt to run a local copy - I use my old clunky "xjdic"
> inside a kterm terminal window for a lot of things. I hit WWWJDIC quite a lot.

Hmmm....

> Which site is giving access problems? I use the edrdg.org site mostly now.
> The Monash server is getting a bit flaky, and may be shut down with little or
> no notice.

I've jumped from one site to another... I'm currently using:
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C

- which generally works, although sometimes it doesn't respond (beyond
the opening page that is) and then I either try something else or wait
a bit and come back to it.  There was a site I was using before that
appeared to sometimes be completely down at night or something.  Sorry
for the lack of details.  I'll make a point of taking notes about it.

Aside from having access issues from time to time, I'm a big fan of
having reference material locally saved whenever possible.  It doesn't
change and access is never an issue.  (Change/updating/etc is of
course good, if it's done by the right people, but dictionary
definitions from sites like Wikipedia are horrible.)  At work they
force me to use brand-X and the one good thing I can say about that,
is I have a set of great dictionary reference material I bought in the
late nineties that still serves me well - if only it would run on
Linux.  (Sometimes it runs on Wine, but not reliably.)

Thanks for the feedback.

Lyle