Re: [tlug] Accessing JB's WWWJDIC Off-Line

On 24 August 2013 17:19, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to install: Jim Breen's "WWWJDIC: Online Japanese
> Dictionary Service" so it can be used off-line?

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Still No.

> ..... It's a great
> resourse, but there are access problems sometimes and it would be
> great to be able to access it off the hard drive (quicker, more
> reliable).

It's not open source, is totally runs-inside-Apache oriented, and is a beast
to install. I don't attempt to run a local copy - I use my old clunky "xjdic"
inside a kterm terminal window for a lot of things. I hit WWWJDIC quite a lot.

Which site is giving access problems? I use the edrdg.org site mostly now.
The Monash server is getting a bit flaky, and may be shut down with little or
no notice.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University