Re: [tlug] Power "On The Go"

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 6:17 AM, Jim Holloway <irvingholloway@example.com> wrote:
I agree with Kalin, carrying an extra battery is probably your best option. The largest capacity offered for the model laptop you have.

If that doesn't do it, you can always go solar briefcase for $1500. Of course you have to get us all one :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=408ME2GapWg

Did you check on car accessories ?

I was looking for a battery for for my telescope (12V,1200mA). The need was to power the telescope 4-5 hours, but I did not want to
use it only for this. In astronomy forums I found out that many people use car batteries. The problem being to build a box, etc.
Not for me.
Many others use car boosters, as they are much cheaper than telescope makers batteries, and offer much more options.

So I started to look on car boosters.

For instance (french, sorry, I did not find any English version, Norauto seems to be everywhere in Europe but UK). But my description below the link should be enough, except for the picture.
http://www.norauto.fr/Acheter-Booster-NORAUTO-PREMIUM-N1000-/Pieces-Detachees/Demarrage/Boosters-batterie-auto-moto/356830/1.html

This one offers 12V/19Ah, which is enough for me. The "multi-usage" part includes: lamp (well, for my usage, red light is mandatory, but some filter could do the job I suppose - just in case some of you are also in astronomy field), able to inflate my car/bicycles tires, car starter, usb. So it would be fine for my laptops too. At least for a few hours.

There are much cheaper boosters if you don't need air compressor and/or the useless screen (half the price, around).

Just to say that you may check on car accessories section of your online shops before making a choice.

br.

PS. There are some drawbacks, as always: Most boosters use lead batteries, which (apparently, I am not an expert) do not like to be fully discharged (you will have to charge it every month or 2 months, even if you don't use, recharge after each use) , are not really friends of our mother Gaia if you don't take care recycling, and some other issues. Well, recycling is not an issue as long as you don't live in middle of nowhere.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.