Re: [tlug] Changing subject in thread.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:02:32PM +0200, Bruno Raoult wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am not sure about the software you use for the screenshot, nor the
> options available,
> and used about sorting/threading.

Oh my, that's an ancient screenshot, I probably used scrot--I think
Jonathan sent it to me in the early 2000's.

It was showing that the linuguistics thread, where someone had just changed the
topic, was showing, in mutt, as part of the thread of hello to all.

> Yes, this is the main reason of my apologies. But I think I will use
> "off-topic" instead
> of "OT", both help in filtering, anyway. I suppose it is OK.

Yes, that's fine.  The aim is only to make things clear to everyone.

(Also, please do try to trim.  I realize that's a judgement call, nor am I
such a guru to jump on everyone who fails to meet my standards, but as
this has partially become a discussion of netiquette, it's one of the more
important things--please trim unnecessary text.  Much of the time, only a
few sentences from the previous emails, as context, are necessary.

> Well: It should have been been "New subject [Was: Old subject]", instead of
> "[Was: Old subject] New subject",
> right ?

Yes, that's fine.  Doing it the other way, (beginning with the [WAS]),
isn't a disaster--the most important thing is making it clear to those who
have mail that threads by header information.

> And the "Was:" part should be removed as well when answering to a mail
> already stating the "Was" part,
> am I still right ? I did remove it anyway :-)

No, it should be left in there, IMHO, but again, it's not a horrible
disaster.

> > To a point, you're correct though--it can get overly complicated.
> >

> Yes, it is. And I must admit that different lists having different rules,
> it also does not help. For instance, the list

> where I post usually today is a small group. Let say 10-20 people, maybe
> less than half active.
> I try to always trim and avoid top-posting. But doing it all the time is
> not only time consuming, but also
> meaningless, as readers do not care :-( Yes, yes, yes, bad excuse. But
> still an excuse :-)

Ok, that was a literal LOL.  I've found, for example, replying to business
emails, that sometimes, people are so used to top posting, which, after all
these years, I still can't stand, that they call me saying, you sent me a
blank email.  I say, no I didn't, I answered you inline.  If they're not
someone to whom I have to be respectful, I then usually add in the old one

top posting
What's the most annoying thing on usenet

(though I add a smiley to show them I'm not really criticizing.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6