Re: [tlug] [not Linux related] Why Hollywood does break foreign films ?

On 12 August 2013 17:47, Bruno Raoult <braoult@example.com> wrote:
> Oh, we do share some blood with Windows (in fact I mean Microsoft rather
> than some particular OS from them).
> I am sure you have the source of your kernel installed. A small look,
> Benjamin, please.

I am well aware that Microsoft has contributed code to the kernel.
That is not the same thing as sharing blood with a specific product of
Microsoft. If anything (and I may carry the analogue too far here)
there's a placental barrier between the two, as code for licence
reasons can't intermingle freely between the two. Or, depending on how
you look at it, there's an osmotic one-way barrier between the two
since proprietary code can become GPL'd but you can't legally turn
GPL'd code proprietary.

On 12 August 2013 17:47, Bruno Raoult <braoult@example.com> wrote:
> I am quite sure Stephen did not speak about Windows (whatever version) too,
> nor even M$. Stephen will deny,
> of course, if I misunderstood.

Let's have a look again at the original assertion:

On 12 August 2013 13:49, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> It may have been a troll, but the problem Bruno faces wrt to his
> movies is the same problem TLUG faces with respect to its favorite
> OS....

If the problem is really "the same", what is actually referred to is a
product of a company and not the company itself, as a film is a
product. Of course, whether or not that company is actually Microsoft
is unknown, and I concede that I may be mistaken on that point.

Of course, the comparison may have been under-thought. Or I may be
over-thinking stuff as usual :) ah well.

While this is technically on-topic, it's only because it is an
off-topic discussion in an off-topic thread. Might as well let the
thread die.