Re: [tlug] Sounds of Silence - SOLVED

>>     create an executable file
>>     /usr/bin/skype-wrapper
>>     with the following content:
>>     PULSE_SERVER=127.0.0.1 /usr/bin/skype &
>>     PULSE_SERVER is a way to tell skype to use a pulse instance on a machine
>>     other than the local.
>>     invalid values (e.g. empty string) make skype interrupt the startup and
>>     quit - so we give the local adress which is valid but obviously pulse runs
>>     at user level so it's not reachable via network, even not on the local
>>     machine.
>>     skype tries to use pulse but cannot reach/connect to it and falls back to
>>     alsa.
>>     the result on ubuntu natty is that pulse continues to work unmodified and
>>     skype can be configured to use whatever you want to

Isn't this a bit fragile? (e.g. it sounds like if you ran skype as root,
or if a pulse server was actually running on localhost, the behaviour
would be different.)

Wouldn't it work just as well, but be more predictable, to use some
server IP you can be sure would never exist, e.g.

   PULSE_SERVER=10.200.200.200 /usr/bin/skype &

Darren