Re: [tlug] Sounds of Silence

Based on what you have said, I see two possible causes:

1) The webcam has a microphone, thus sound capabilities, thus might
have taken precedence over your regular sound card (unlikely, but
possible)
2) The applications with no sound are using ALSA/OSS instead of
PulseAudio, and for some reason this fails.

Reboot your computer, open a terminal window and nothing else, then
try these commands and note whether or not they result in sound:

mplayer -ao pulse /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
mplayer -ao alsa /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
mplayer -ao oss /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
paplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
padsp mplayer -ao oss /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav