Re: [tlug] [completely off topic] WTF 7 year olds dog cremation question

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 22:54:59 +0900
Edward Middleton <edward.middleton@example.com> wrote:

> Why is a cremated dogs brain black?  If it was carbon it
> presumably would have burnt with the rest of the body.

Heh.. yes, children! :-)

Well, the brain, like most of the body, is mostly carbon compounds.
So, what you get when you burn tissue is mostly carbon (hydrogen
and most of the other parts of the compounds are oxidized and leave
the burning tissue as gas). Why the brain remains as a massive carbon
block is quite simple: you need a much higher temperature to actually
burn that carbon, than you need for the initial "burning" of the
tissue. I assume that the skull shielded the brain enough from temperature
and oxygen for it to remain intact as "coal".

			Attila Kinali

--
The people on 4chan are like brilliant psychologists
who also happen to be insane and gross.