[tlug] [completely off topic] WTF 7 year olds dog cremation question

Sorry for asking this here but I am not really sure where to start.  I
spent a large part of today cremating my wifes dead dog and the
experience was somewhat traumatic for my daughter.  Now we are past the
whole thing, my daughter has a questions only a 7 year old could have
and I don't even know where to start looking for an answer. Any pointers
appreciate.  Why is a cremated dogs brain black?  If it was carbon it
presumably would have burnt with the rest of the body.

Edward