Re: [tlug] kickstarter for open source...

I think for a usual crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter or Indiegogo it would be helpful to already have a developer who is able to deliver a defined goal. One would also have to define some perks that supporters get. This could be something from supporter badges on cups or for websites to technical support hours or training for the really generous. Or having the say in which feature/bug is implemented/fixed first.

There might be other crowdfunding forms with more flexibility, where people can also vote on features and/or apply for implementing the feature. But this might also become relatively complicated for the untrained user.

When I googled for "crowdfunding software" I found this list on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_crowd_funding_services. And a list of open source crowdfunding platforms: http://seedingfactory.com/2013/04/list-of-open-source-crowdfunding-platforms/ And many more links that looked quite interesting.

Did you post this crowdfunding idea on the PhantomJS mailing list? If a project has been forked so often there might be a few people who are not really core developers but already fairly familiar with the code or at least part of it?

Maybe one could start with a little survey on who would be a potential developer, who would be a potential donor, what they would like/feel able to work on and what they would like to have fixed first?