Re: [tlug] kickstarter for open source...

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:18 PM, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> On 12 June 2013 12:29, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
>
>> Unless you're a larger organization, reputation doesn't matter too much.
>
> It matters when you're looking for a job. You should assume that
> hiring managers will Google you, and if they don't like what they
> find, you don't get the job.

True...but does Kickstarter verify a person's real name?  It says that
in the US, pledges are processed by Amazon Payments and in the UK by a
third-party.  Perhaps when they receive the money, they need show
proof of their real name?

(Of course, you could counter this by saying that if you fund a
project that is run by someone with no online presence, then that's
your fault for throwing money away.  If you said that, then I'd have
to agree with you :-) .)

Actually, it is becoming more common for several people to have the
same name.  Certainly happens with sites like Facebook and Linkedin.
HR departments probably have to make an educated guess part of the
time...

Ray