Re: [tlug] kickstarter for open source...

Am 12.06.13 11:16, schrieb Stephen J. Turnbull:
Ulrike Schmidt writes:

  >  So we agree we can drop the "spare change for UNICEF" comparison in
  >  favor of "retailing innovation"?

No.  Look at the subject line.  It's not about the success or
otherwise of Kickstarter.  It's about open source.
I read "kickstarter for open source". You are saying Kickstarter will be successful but not for open source? Because people only invest in open source as much as they would donate to UNICEF? Or do you want to say that not all open source projects will get funding? Yes, probably not.

Well, I'm an economics professor and you're not, so I personally am
going to trust my intuition, not yours. :-)
Since you are an economics professor I trusted you could give me rational reasons, not merely your intuiton.

Curt's intuition is
tolerably close to mine, and that counts with me, too.
Well, I don't care about your intuitions, but about your arguments.

As for other reasons, there's the economics of spam.  See below.

  >  So when I put my money into an open source project I am not only helping
  >  myself to a good piece of software, but I am also doing something for
  >  the community. Even better! The project will progress regardless of my
  >  motivation.

I've already declared myself uninterested in your motivation.
As I psychologist I would say people's motivation is relevant, if it comes to whether they are going to support a project or not.

  I'm
interested in your contraints.  If you can't get the product without
paying, it's a purchase.  If you pay more than you have to (including
anything if "have to" is zero), that portion is a donation.

In open source, you don't have to pay (modulo "ransom" schemes[1] and the
like).  There are about 100,000 projects on Sourceforge, there must be
similar numbers on github and bitbucket, and a couple hundred on
Savannah.  How many of those do you contribute to?
The ones I am really intersted in, that solve a problem for me. So my motivation and my daily needs come in again, sorry. I am currently not supporting all possible projects with code, I won't do so in the future.

I do have a constraint in the means with which I solve the problems of my daily life. If an open source project helps solving them now I will use it for free. If does not solve some of them yet but could possibly soon if I give someone money (call it whatever pleases you and is scientifically correct) and the amount is within my constraints the chances are high that I will do so.

Since you don't care about my personal motivation I claim that a lot of people are thinking in the same lines. I have to admit this is based on my intuition as a psychologist (I am not a professor) and you are free to doubt it. If you insist, I will give you arguments ;-)

The other day I was asked by an instution that helps artists with video processing whether there aren't any open source video processing software projects that they could use and fund the development of special features. They did not know how to find them. They have list of projects now and I will see how this develops.

If a few FLOSS
projects get big publicity for getting $1000 or more from Kickstarter,
how many of them do you think will register?

So the question is how many people, how much money, and how many
projects.
Is the glass half empty or half full? Will people go shopping on crowdfunding platforms like they are on amazon and ebay now? Will spamming for your own crowdfunding project be forbidden? Does it matter if your project is open source or not? Possibly it helps?

Anyway, I am getting confused about this discussion and what you really want to tell us and what you think it is really about. So maybe I should simply step out of it for the moment.