Re: [tlug] kickstarter for open source...

>  > I like the Kickstarter idea of setting a target, making it very
>  > visible; compared to say a bunch of Paypal donations.
>
> You like it as a project sponsor, or as a donor?

As someone giving money to a project, I like that there is a clear
target. I feel like I'm buying a feature, not giving to charity. The
gimmicks some Kickstarter projects have (signed copy of a book, etc.)
might also be motivating. I like that my credit card will only get
billed if they hit their minimum target, and the project will actually
happen.

As someone running a project that needs financing, I like the publicity
and that they collect the money, and take care of the escrow aspect.
(And again the minimum target is great, as I don't personally have to
take care of refunds.)

BTW, those are both theoretical likes, as I've not done either to date.

But I think the model is hear to stay. For a new venture it is a new and
distinct model, the 5th here:
  * Self-finance
  * Get the bank to finance you, for a fixed interest rate
  * Get investors to finance you, for a share of the profits
  * Get a single big customer to finance you
  * Get your first set of small customers to finance you

It was hard to do the last one before the Internet gave us
crowd-funding, just because of all the legal and administration hassle.

Darren