Re: [tlug] Recommendation for router with range

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Nikolay Elenkov <nick@example.com> wrote:

> Not sure about your particular model, but you can flash US firmware or
> DD-WRT after changing some uboot environment variables. It can be done via
> a serial link, but some devices seem to have a convenient backdoor.
>
> More info (may brick your device, etc.):
>
> http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=167996
> http://matsuk-xmit.blogspot.jp/2012/03/wzr-hp-ag300hdd-wrt-openwrt.html
> http://www34.atwiki.jp/ddwrt/pages/14.html

Thanks for all the links Nikolay. It's funny because I'm the last poster on the first link you gave :)

I've been able to get TFTP to upload firmware but the router just never seems to accept it. I've tried the stock US Buffalo firmware, both encrypted and decrypted. (I did set accept_open_rt_fmt 1)

Either I'm missing something, or it just not possible for my version of the router - yet.

Jc

PS Come to think of it it *must* be possible since the US model has DD-WRT running on it ... Don't know what the Japanese distributor has done - they've gone so far as to even disable flashing through TFTP :(