Re: [tlug] Recommendation for router with range

On Fri, 24 May 2013 10:17:42 +0900, Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc.imbeault@example.com> wrote:

> ... wi-fi base
> station ... the signal doesn't cover the whole house.

> I'm hoping that by using a wi-fi router as the base station I will get a
> stronger signal than my PC provides and the signal will reach into our
> basement.
>
> Can anyone recommend a wi-fi router with a strong signal/range?

A better question might be to ask how to get a better Wifi
connection between upstairs and basement. For such a question,
many radio folks will tell you:

1. Antennas!
2. Antennas!
3. Antennas!

Use better antennas, at _both_ ends.

Also experiment with antenna placement. A small change in
location can make a huge difference in performance.

Also, use equipment that has more than one antenna[4].
This decreases the sensitivity to placement.

Be sure to get better antennas on _both_ sides of the connection.

The antennas built-in to laptops are often feeble.
_If_ you must use an unmodified laptop with a crummy antenna(s),
consider putting a Wifi repeater[2] (again, with good antennas!!!)
close to the laptop with the crummy antenna(s). Another similar
solution is to use a Wifi router configured as a bridge[1] in
the basement. You would connect your laptop and other
basement computers to the bridge with an ethernet cable.

Many Wifi transmitters transmit at less than the legal limit,
or the limit of the chip. If you increase a transmitter's
power output (within the legal limits),
make sure it is cooled well.
Big heat sinks and/or fans help.
Make sure the output is not distorted.
https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=wrt54g+transmit+power
But you should explore the antennas, bridges, and repeaters
first before increasing power.

Also explore:
http://www.techerator.com/2009/04/tomato-firmware-increased-transmit-power-does-more-harm-than-good/
http://www.techerator.com/2009/07/how-to-rebroadcast-a-weak-wifi-signal/
http://www.techerator.com/2009/09/how-to-use-a-router-as-a-wireless-adapter/

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_bridge
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wireless_router_firmware_projects
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_repeater
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

[3] Yum!: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pringles
    日本 アンテナ: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yagi-Uda_antenna
    Now put together: https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=wifi+pringles
    Be sure to check the legality of doing so where you are.

    Boring, but works:
    https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=wifi+antenna
    Beware of connector compatibility.

[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_diversity