[tlug] Emacs Lisp file-exists usage

I use the Emacs mailer MEW, and I'm trying to set up a way for the mailer to use different SMTP settings depending on which machine it's running on. I found an Emacs function called file-exists which is supposed to test for the presence of a file, and then I am putting an empty file in my root directory on the different machines that is intended to trigger the change. What I've written is like this:

(if (file-exists-p "/mail-u-tokyo")
(setq mew-smtp-port "25")
(setq mew-smtp-server "mail.l.u-tokyo.ac.jp")
)

(if (file-exists-p "/mail-home")
(setq mew-smtp-port "587")
(setq mew-smtp-server "mail.so-net.ne.jp")
)

But it doesn't seem to do the trick. Can anyone spot what is missing here?

TIA,

Chuck

A. Charles Muller

University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Faculty of Letters
Center for Evolving Humanities
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan

Office: 03-5841-3735