[tlug] MythTV / PVR in Japan

What is the current state of play for personal video recorders in Japan?

Mauro eventually convinced me that I needed a MythTV box and it
certainly changed our viewing habits in Japan 6~8 years ago (and really
feels like a necessity here in New Zealand).  Is it easy to receive
digital terrestrial (and/or free-to-air satellite?) broadcasts in Japan
with MythTV or similar solutions?  Are there encryption or format
limitations?  What are people using for tuners?  Or does everyone just
buy a prepackaged PVR nowadays?

--
Jim Tittsler  7J1AJH/ZL2IA/AI8A  Te Anau, NZ        GPG: 0x01159DB6
Kanto Computer Calendar  http://OnJapan.net/calendar/